Saturday, September 13, 2008

Eve

Tomorrow around 5 AM I'll depart Chevy Chase, MD to go to Cullowhee, NC to go check out AI's crib for a few days.  Cullowhee is the home of the Western Carolina Catamounts and is one hour west of Asheville, NC.  It is also home to a recent gas scare.  

Everything is packed and  good to go for the first few days of the trip. First drive is expected to be about 9 hours.  I don't expect to do too many of these long 8+ hour rides, but I've been down to this area a million times and I'm not looking to make too many stops. Once I get down there I'll check out some of the local attractions and get a taste of the local fare.  I expect to see 7 Bojangles on the way down.  If I'm lucky maybe a Biscuitville! Another focus of my visit to this area will be to see if I can get a handle on an interesting bee study being conducted by the University. (watch the first video)


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heads up Dave, the "Whee" is another world. I look forward to your visit tomorrow.

David Ireland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Ireland said...

do you have running water?

Chris and Abby said...

David!! I'm so excited for you!! Have so much fun and know that I will be checking your blog daily for updates!!! :)
-abby

Unknown said...

Hope you find some cheap gas! There's a Pilot on I-81 at exit 150 north of Roanoke and a couple Flying-Js in Wytheville.

Unknown said...

Also, be sure to take I-26 off I-81 in Tennessee and travel over the mountain into NC. A beautiful entrance into a great State. Stop in the brand new visitors center at the base of the mountain and get yourself a map of NC. GPS is great for point-to-point, but you can't beat a map for getting the BIG picture.

Anonymous said...

Dad is right, there is an excellent visitor center off of I-26 (great landscaping). He is also right about NC being a great state and yes, I do have running water...but only after 7 PM.

pop pop said...

Looks like you've made a good start, waiting for your call.